Register  |  Login  |  United States (change)
Forums

Vegas Pro - Video

Forums  |  Search  |  Login  |  Register  |  FAQ
Subject: When do you need to use "Disable resample"
Posted by: LightAds
Date: 1/9/2013 10:49:55 PM

On my GoPro I shot 60fps, Im in PAL land to get a 5 more frames for slomo's. My project is 25fps.

1. If I CTL drag the media for slomo's do I still need to "disable resample"?
2. Do I "Disable resample" for un-altered media on the timeline?

Craig
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Subject: RE: When do you need to use "Disable resample"
Date: 1/10/2013 6:10:49 AM

Always.

Just my opinion, of course, but i see two situations:

1) If it doesn't matter, it doesn't hurt to have it disabled.
2) If it does matter, i've never seen a case where resampled looked good and disabled looked bad.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 6:37:12 AM

To add to the question, is there any real benefit of capturing at 60fps for a 25fps project won’t this create issues is it not better to capture at 50fps for slower sequences.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 6:50:22 AM

> "2) If it does matter, i've never seen a case where resampled looked good and disabled looked bad."

Try slowing down regular 60i footage of dancers by about 10x. With resample enabled you will get smooth motion. With resample disabled you will get a slide show at 3 frames per second. I've done this before and I can probably find you some footage to prove it again.

So my opinion is exactly opposite of Kelly's opinion: ;-) (which is why they are just "opinion" and not "facts")

There is no reason to ever disable resample unless you are seeing excessive ghosting because of the frame blending in which case disabling resample will avoid this at the expense of making your video a jerky slide show due to the lack of available frames.

One case in which it helps is when halving the speed. If you shoot 60p and want 30p the "smart resample" isn't too smart. Instead of dropping every other frame to go from 60 to 30 it blends the frames together and makes a mess. This is why you hear some people say "I always disable resample, I don't know why this isn't the default". It's because they constantly shoot at twice the frame rate that they need. It would be great of Sony could make "smart" resample a little "smarter" but that's what it's for... to turn resample on and off as needed so you don't have to worry about it.

~jr
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 7:32:32 AM

I've just rendered my 25fps GoPro project shot at 60fps, both with and without resampling enabled and disabled. I have velocity envelopes on most clips.
Both are same size and visualy I can't see any difference in quality.

The question Rory asked about if there are any benifits shooting 60fps in PAL land to get an extra 5 frames for the purposes of better slomo's has also had me wondering. After all the only difference between PAL and NTCS is framerate and not frame sizes like in the olden days. The only issues are 4% audio difference and if you shooting in atificial lighting conditions you'll get flicker. But for outdoors it should be great.

Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 8:44:03 AM

I shut it off whenever I get blending, blurring, slurring in renders that I don't want.
Which is all the time. :) It annoys me that the default is ON.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 9:54:11 AM

"Try slowing down regular 60i footage of dancers by about 10x. With resample enabled you will get smooth motion."

I had a similar situation to the OP's with a ballet sequence. Wanted to insert a closeup of a solo dancer into a larger project, but the closeup was from another performance, which ran almost 3% slower. Auto resample was quite blurry and pulsed. Resample off gave the soloist three distinct legs. After much consultation with forum members and experimentation, I left resampling off and added a motion blur envelope in small increments until the phantom leg "just" blended in. Lacking Twixtor, that remains my go-to method when I need to slow down a clip.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 10:07:39 AM

I do a lot of GoPro shooting with sking. I do disable resampling when I shoot at 60p and want to slow the footage down to 50% for some slow motion segments. When rendering out to 30p MP's files, disabling resampling allows for each frame to be used in the original 60p footage and eliminates all ghosting.

I only do this for 50% velocity (other percentages don't give you a clean 1 frame to 1 frame conversion so resampling makes sense). In your case, might it be better to render your 60p footage project to a high quality intermediate file that is 60p or 60i then re-render to 50p?

Mike
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 12:23:56 PM

I disable re-sampling for the following:
*speeding things up
*want a stutter in slower speed
*the "smoothness" looks bad when I slow something down and it's better to have a stutter.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 12:35:33 PM

I think video slowed down 10x in Vegas looks awful with or without resampling. Resampling just makes it a changing blur rather than actual motion. I just wouldn't do it. At that point i'd get something like Twixtor to do the slow motion.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 12:42:38 PM

I have a camera that records at 15 fps and lots of video from it. When I work with this, or other equally silly frame rates, I always disable resample and use a frame rate that is a multiple of 15. Doing so doesn't make it look smooth, it just doesn't make it look any worse than it already is.

Old Thread

With the plethora of phones and other video recording devices around today, sooner or later everyone is likely to mix frame rates that you would prefer not to have to deal with .
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 1:50:05 PM

One of the most common situations where you should consider disabling resample is when you want to use 24p material (film or otherwise) in a 29.97 project. If you disable resample, Vegas will end up creating the exact equivalent of what is usually referred to as either "pulldown" or "telecine." This is how 24p material has been shown on NTSC television since the beginning of time and it has the advantages of retaining all the spatial quality and also keeping the "feel" of 24p. The slight jerkiness that comes from repeated fields (fields, not frames) is not noticeable by an audience that has always seen 24p material this way.

I generally find that the simplistic resample done by Vegas does too much violence to the sharpness and feel of most video, but as pointed out above, that is just an opinion, and therefore not worth much.

As for whether to use it for slow motion, here is a clip I've posted many times that shows the difference between resample on, resample off, and using something like Twixtor:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfpP1zZKVs&list=PL20C2E11C8C757894&index=6

Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 1/10/2013 2:15:29 PM

Another old thread, actually one year ago, yesterday: Whither Smart Resample

...Jerry
Reply   |  Report Abuse

Sony

Follow Us Online Facebook Twitter YouTube Email Sign up:  Submit

Sony Creative Software inspires artistic expression with its award-winning line of products for digital video, music, DVD, and audio production.

Sound Forge, ACID, and Vegas software have defined digital content creation for a generation of creative professionals, amateurs, and enthusiasts.

© 2003-2014 Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Software
ACID Pro
ACID Music Studio
Photo Go
Sound Forge Pro
Sound Forge Audio Studio
Vegas Pro
Vegas Movie Studio
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
All Software
Royalty-Free Content
Loops & Samples: Premium
Loops & Samples: Standard
Loops & Samples: Classic
All Loops & Samples
Artist Integrated Loops
Sound Effects
Vision Series
All Content
Download
Free Downloads
Trials and Demos
Updates
Manuals
Whitepapers
Utilities
Development Kits
All Downloads
Other
Product Support
Customer Service
Affiliate Program
Register Software
Training & Tutorials
Press Releases
Newsletters
Showcase
Site Map

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams Sony.com