Register  |  Login  |  United States (change)
Forums

Vegas Pro - Video

Forums  |  Search  |  Login  |  Register  |  FAQ
Subject: What do I need to view “smooth” un-rendered .MOV
Posted by: Rich Parry
Date: 2/7/2010 8:23:29 AM

Question: What do I need to view “smooth” un-rendered .MOV HD clips? When I view the file in QuickTime, the stutter is terrible.

I have a Canon 5D Mark II that shoots full HD video (1920x1080x30P). I am unable to review the clips without rendering in VP9. I’d like to bypass the VP9. I have a dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, 7200 rpm SATA HD, but it isn’t up to the task. Not even close.

Here is an example, assume I have 20 similar clips, each 10 seconds. I want to quickly review each and determine which 1 of the 20 to select for editing and delete the rest. Right now I have to input them to VP9c and render to SD (not HD). Then I preview in SD using VP9c.

What are others doing to review HD video? I am willing to purchase a new computer, but not sure that is the solution or what kind of CPU, video card etc. will solve the problem.

BTW, the stutter exists in VP9 also, it is only “after” rendering to SD that I can use the “Preview Window” to view the video.

Thanks,
Rich
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Subject: RE: What do I need to view “smooth” un-rendered .MOV
Date: 2/7/2010 8:30:07 AM

You can get the fastest computer out there, which may or may not completely solve the problem.

Or, you can create proxy files, which is what you are already doing, and replace them when it is time to render.

Or, you can render to a lossless intermediate, which is slightly different, because you will be using that to create the final render.

I doubt you will ever get smooth full HD playback in QT player. VLC is better, but not a cure-all. Really, this stuff is hard to play back natively, and until everything is addressed, it's going to remain that way for a while.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Subject: RE: What do I need to view “smooth” un-render
Date: 2/7/2010 8:45:58 AM

You picked a beefy format. 1920x1080x30P H.264 playback requires a lot of CPU horsepower and a good graphics card.

H.264 is not suitable for editing, and you need to get into an intermediate format asap.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/7/2010 9:32:08 AM

check the specs for your GPU. For playback, it may support acceleration of certain video formats. That would solve your problem.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/7/2010 10:30:53 AM

check the specs for your GPU. For playback, it may support acceleration of certain video formats. That would solve your problem.

Not without a GPU-enabled playback codec (which Vegas doesn't support). They cost $, and the performance boost is negligible, by everything I've read.

One inexpensive one is called CoreAVC, if you want to try it. I haven't.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/7/2010 6:45:36 PM

I said playback, not preview. :)

It helps quite a bit. I was running HD 1920x1080 on an ATI AIW 9600 Pro & an AMD XP 1800. People are complaining their modern system's can't do that. With GPU acceleration you can play videos that high quality.

But it doesn't help with vegas.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/7/2010 7:11:56 PM

My laptop plays back 1080p from the 5D without fault. Core2Duo but with a hot Nvidia quadro card. My editing machine is an 8 core machine with an ever hotter Nvidia quadro card and it plays 5D files like they were SD.

In Vegas, all bets are off.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/8/2010 5:41:09 AM

when you play back it's getting GPU acceleration, not while editing.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/8/2010 5:51:15 AM

I had a similar issue with Quicktime and simply used VLC media player instead. It was a world of difference in the smoothness of playback on the same machine (2.1Ghz Core2 with 2 gigs of ram). Try it out.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/8/2010 7:54:14 AM

I know. That's why I mentioned the cards.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/11/2010 10:32:32 AM

I found many Nvidia Quadro cards, which one are you using? I'm looking for the specific Product/Model Number.

Thanks,
Rich
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 2/11/2010 11:11:46 AM

I am running the FX 4800. I doubt you want that one. though. There are cheaper options that should work fine. If you want my specific card (desktop) then you can buy it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133252
Reply   |  Report Abuse

Sony

Follow Us Online Facebook Twitter YouTube Email Sign up:  Submit

Sony Creative Software inspires artistic expression with its award-winning line of products for digital video, music, DVD, and audio production.

Sound Forge, ACID, and Vegas software have defined digital content creation for a generation of creative professionals, amateurs, and enthusiasts.

© 2003-2014 Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Software
ACID Pro
ACID Music Studio
Photo Go
Sound Forge Pro
Sound Forge Audio Studio
Vegas Pro
Vegas Movie Studio
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
All Software
Royalty-Free Content
Loops & Samples: Premium
Loops & Samples: Standard
Loops & Samples: Classic
All Loops & Samples
Artist Integrated Loops
Sound Effects
Vision Series
All Content
Download
Free Downloads
Trials and Demos
Updates
Manuals
Whitepapers
Utilities
Development Kits
All Downloads
Other
Product Support
Customer Service
Affiliate Program
Register Software
Training & Tutorials
Press Releases
Newsletters
Showcase
Site Map

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams Sony.com