Register  |  Login  |  United States (change)
Forums

Vegas Pro - Video

Forums  |  Search  |  Login  |  Register  |  FAQ
Subject: Vegas 11 3D nVidia 3D Vision still not working
Posted by: noslenwerdna
Date: 10/18/2011 2:20:18 PM

This was supposed to support nVidia (non just the Quaddro) 3D vision but the preview screen is black? Am I missing something?

I am running the trial of 11 as I don't want to purchase it to find out that it won't work with my notebook as that is the only reason I'd purchase the upgrade at this point.

Does anybody know how to get the preview in 3D working with nVidia 3D Vision?

Thank you for the help, I sure do appreciate this forum and all of the great advise.
-Andrew

Reply   |  Report Abuse
Subject: RE: Vegas 11 3D nVidia 3D Vision still not working
Date: 10/18/2011 3:22:02 PM

I don’t see it available as an option. I’d like to have it, too. But I am not surprised as I have searched through all publicly available nVidia programming documentation and could not find how to accomplish it. It would appear this information is available to a select small group of programmers only.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/18/2011 3:32:47 PM

According to the Help file in Vegas 11, you are supposed to select the "left and right" mode of 3D for preview. This is how it worked for the Quadro based graphics and now is supposed to work for the GeForce based graphics. However, it only gives me a black screen.

Let me know if you have better luck.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/18/2011 4:19:49 PM

As far as I know, to use a second monitor as secondary preview with nvidia 3D vision, you will still need a Quadro. Works here with a Quadro 2000D fine.

The change SCS has done is another one - now you can use nvidia 3D vision if you run only one monitor like a laptop - then it works that you have the preview in full sice on your monitor.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/18/2011 6:26:17 PM

Wolfgang,

I see what you are saying, however, SCS says it works with their VIAO F-series notebooks which use a GeForce GT550M, the same as in my notebook. Also, on the help file, it specifically states that this works with the GeForce as well as the Quadro nVidia cards.

i am assuming that, like with other releases, an announced feature that is not currently working will work with an update such as 11.b or 11.c... I was just hoping that somebody has had luck with 11 getting it to work.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/18/2011 7:37:01 PM

you will still need a Quadro.

But why? I can watch 3D movies, even Blu-ray discs in perfect 3D with my nVidia GT 430 using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, where it is set for NVIDIA 3DVision Ready Display. Vegas does not offer this option.

I tried Left and Right. My IF controller flicked, turned stereoscopy on and immediately off. Two warnings popped up. One from Vegas (presumably) stating an attempt was made to use a stereoscopic mode on a non-stereoscopic display (which is a lie). The other, from nVidia, stating that “this application” is not rated by NVIDIA Corporation.

So, SCS needs to get its act together, register Vegas Pro with nVidia and start supporting 3DVision.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/19/2011 3:45:05 AM

Red,

Out of my own curiosity, are you using the 64bit or the 32bit version of Vegas?
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/19/2011 3:53:56 AM

Would be also good use 3d vision while editing with just one monitor. The preview windows is 3D, the timeline is not.
Geforce drivers can support windowed 3D mode already.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/19/2011 9:55:27 AM

64-bit on Windows 7 Ultimate with 24 GB RAM.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/19/2011 1:52:59 PM

Has anybody gotten the 3D Vision to work with a GeForce (not Quadro) video adapter? I'm just curious if this is working at all or if I just need to wait for an update. I contacted SCS Tech Support, but I'm sure the update will be out before they get back to me.

If everybody could contact them on this problem it might get quicker attention. Just a thought.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/19/2011 9:32:55 PM

I've been able to get it working about 3 or 4 times out of 30 tries or so. I've tried switching the display from 1 to 2 and back and the software keeps playing the 3d monitor, when it does, on monitor 1. I haven't tried the new Beta drivers, newer than the August 280.26. I've been gaming in 3d for a couple years and my 2 cents need Sony and Nvidia to chat. I'm going to try the beta drivers out later, then proceed to Nvidia forums.

The "this application is not rated" is ok. This is where Nvidia rates their games usually. Some games are rates fair/good/excellent/3dvision ready, or not rated at all and work fine. I wouldn't worry about the rating. If you got that to pop up, you got in to 3d, which is a good thing.

I'm having a similar problem with Power Directer 10 also.

FWIW, all of my games that use Max GPU settings still run fine, so it's not my system, it's the driver and the program.

Reverting after I try Beta 285.38. Also, this is the second beta drivers since August 9th, and we're due for a new whql certified one. Welcome to the cutting edge of 3d on pc's. This summer I went without my 3d surround for 2 months while Nvidia updated their 3d surround 3 monitor driver. Patience, it's worth it.

Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 12:51:42 AM

285.38 is a little better. At least I get a black screen with the Nvidia green verbiage in the bottom right.

In the center of the black screen I get "hit esc..."

Power Director 10 now works great with the beta driver. When I get a chance in the next couple days I'll give tech support a call and see what can be done. fyi, following the instructions in the manual on how to do this, and haven't tweaked anything else.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 4:44:55 AM

I'm not running the beta drivers, I have the most recent release 280.26 and also get the black screen instead of 3D. I'm also getting the message about pressing esc to exit full screen in the middle of the screen. That is all I have gotten, no green nVidia message.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 6:02:33 AM

So, now I've updated to the beta drivers 285.38 and the preview is now in 3D!!! Finally, I can see my effect without having to render... and now I am going to purchase the upgrade!!! Awesome.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 2:11:47 PM

OK, I updated to the Beta, too, now. The installer said it would keep my settings. It did not, as it turned 3D off. I had to turn it back on but all my 3D looked 2D. I then realized the installer changed my 3D depth down to 15%, so I raised it to 71% (random pick).

Now, Vegas Pro 11 will show my 3D footage as 3D if I watch in full screen mode and I set “Set when the display is in 3D mode” (in the nVidia control panel) to “Always” before starting Vegas.

Naturally, keeping that in “Always” at all times is a bad idea since it doubles the brightness of the screen and damage your eyes over a long run. So, my conclusion is:

Set your stereoscopic depth high enough so you can see the stereoscopic image as stereoscopic. Before loading Vegas for 3D editing, set the “Set when the display is in 3D mode” to “Always”. After you quit Vegas set it back to “Only while 3D programs run” (either that or keep wearing your 3D glasses at all times).]/i]

By the way, ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre plays 3D movies just fine even with the “Only while 3D programs run”. It can switch between 2D and 3D on the fly. So, Vegas programmers, please take note: You need to switch the nVidia output to 3D (when so configured) and back to 2D yourselves, not expect us, the users, to do it for you, especially since not everyone here is a computer expert.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 4:28:43 PM

I thinked the 3D depth slider has effect only on the COMPUTED, RENDERED 3D games, or scenes, and not video editing what use left and right views, which already define the depth of the scene..
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 6:18:37 PM

Marton,

I was very surprised myself. But yes, it does affect the depth of 3D video as well.

I am actually planning to take advantage of it as I have a 3D Blu-ray about ancient Egypt which was shot for IMAX with its supersized screen and makes all the Egyptian artifacts look like miniatures when shown on my 1080p video monitor. I am hoping that reducing the width before I watch it next time will allow me a more reasonable view.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/20/2011 8:26:43 PM

OK, update:

I went against the grain here because it is a well known fact that the depth (or as I call it, threediness) of a film is determined at the time of shooting and cannot be changed at performance time. The only thing we can change is move it all closer or farther away, all of it while keeping the relative depth.

So, I set my nVidia depth to 25% and started watching Mummies, the BD mentioned above. The image was in 2D, despite the width being set higher than the default 15%.

I quit the player and set it to 52%, which is a lot more than 25% but a lot less than the 90% or so I viewed it at when I first bought the disc. This time it was in full 3D and looked like miniatures, a side effect of it being shot with IMAX cameras spaced apart more than the usual 65 mm.

So, my conclusion is that the fact remains the fact. Even nVidia cannot change the depth of a film. What it seems to be doing is to have a cut-off percentage. Below that cut-off percentage it displays only one of the views (probably the left), so the result is in 2D. Above the cut-off percentage it seems to show the film in 3D.

So, for our use with Sony Vegas, we just need to keep the percentage above the cut-off point (apparently 52% is enough but higher does not hurt).
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/21/2011 12:05:38 PM

I'm still getting the black screen with "hit esc to exit".

Note the Green Nvidia wording in the lower right does show up, which can be toggled off and on with ctl/alt/insert.

Therefore, I think I have a conflict between Vegas and the NV driver, including probably too much junk loaded in the form of codecs and other editing programs on my machine. Doing a clean install tonight. Good thing I decided a year ago to keep all my files on a Raid 5 server!

Will let folks know.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/21/2011 2:20:16 PM

I'm still getting the black screen with "hit esc to exit".

Me too, but only if I try to preview the whole thing. If I stop before the end of the preview, I can escape.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 10/23/2011 3:01:33 AM

Ok, did a complete reinstall of the Operating System. No go, still get a black screen with "hit esc" I know I'm getting in to NVidia 3d because I get the green NV text in the lower right. The video is choppy on the primary monitor. I've got the juice but something's missing.

Also, if I set the secondary (3d) monitor to either monitor 1 or monitor 2, it still comes up on monitor 1.

Everything works great in 2d. Using 285.38 driver.

Have to travel for a couple days and when I get back will pursue with Sony Service.

Dan

P.S. Cyberlink Power Director 10 works great in 3d on the second monitor...!
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/6/2011 3:59:59 AM

I have luck with dual monitor setup and 3D vision preview, but with older, 266.58 driver. 3D vision work, i can navigate the timeline on the other monitor but JUST with the keyboard. As soon as i click with the mouse on an event, 3D vision preview quit on the second monitor. Only with keyboard everything is fine!!

So i REALLY HOPE that with next update of Vegas this will be fully supported, and we don't need quadro cards.

Come on Sony ;-)
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/6/2011 10:45:11 AM

The download page for CUDA developers has version 270.81 as the most recent driver that is stable enough for CUDA programmers.

I have just gone back to that driver, and now my Vegas full screen preview is in full 3D again. Even though I just have a lowly GT 430.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/6/2011 10:48:08 AM

but only with one monitor setup, right?
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/6/2011 1:14:35 PM

Well, I only use one monitor, so I only know it works in the one monitor setup. Whether it works in a 2-monitor setup, I cannot tell.
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/7/2011 1:05:28 AM

Yes, we are waiting for 2 monitor support with correct 3D vision on geforce cards..

SONY, just don't exit 3D vision mode, when i click on the timeline :o
Reply   |  Report Abuse
Date: 11/19/2011 9:31:25 PM

I gave Andrew at Nvidia some more info today, and gave Sony the link to this thread there on my work ticket I have. Sony hasn't responded back to me for over 3 weeks.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213360

Been gone for a week, anybody heard anything new on this from anyone at Sony?

Thanks,
Dan
Reply   |  Report Abuse

Sony

Follow Us Online Facebook Twitter YouTube Email Sign up:  Submit

Sony Creative Software inspires artistic expression with its award-winning line of products for digital video, music, DVD, and audio production.

Sound Forge, ACID, and Vegas software have defined digital content creation for a generation of creative professionals, amateurs, and enthusiasts.

© 2003-2014 Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Software
ACID Pro
ACID Music Studio
Photo Go
Sound Forge Pro
Sound Forge Audio Studio
Vegas Pro
Vegas Movie Studio
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
All Software
Royalty-Free Content
Loops & Samples: Premium
Loops & Samples: Standard
Loops & Samples: Classic
All Loops & Samples
Artist Integrated Loops
Sound Effects
Vision Series
All Content
Download
Free Downloads
Trials and Demos
Updates
Manuals
Whitepapers
Utilities
Development Kits
All Downloads
Other
Product Support
Customer Service
Affiliate Program
Register Software
Training & Tutorials
Press Releases
Newsletters
Showcase
Site Map

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams Sony.com