Import, export and media management
Vegas Pro 12 software contains extensive capture, import, and export support for video and audio devices. The integrated Device Explorer works with a wide range of file-based acquisition formats from Sony and other manufacturers, enabling you to quickly browse the files on the camcorder and transfer only those needed for the project. Vegas Pro 12 also supports legacy tape-based formats, with full "print to tape" functionality. For XDCAM Optical customers, the XDCAM Explorer provides a complete and extensive proxy workflow with metadata support. Significant updates to the Vegas Explorer and Project Media views in Vegas Pro 12 greatly enhance the editing experience by enabling you to sort through your content more intelligently. HDCAM SR™ encoding is now available in Vegas Pro 12, for extremely high-quality mastering and archiving.
New! Vegas Pro explorer redesign
Finding media on your system has never been easier. The updated Vegas Pro Explorer now features a Thumbnail View, and supports Windows Libraries including My Songs, My Videos, and My Pictures. Auto-text fill and breadcrumb control similar to Windows Explorer lets you quickly navigate to previous directories on your system. Using CTRL+ the mouse wheel scales the thumbnail images for added image detail during browsing.
New! Project media tagging
Quickly categorize your media with customizable tags. A Media Tag can be applied to the entire clip or to a region of a clip. As each clip is tagged, it will automatically be organized into appropriately named Media Bins. Quick Search enables instant filtering of media based on a single text field. The Search Media dialog facilitates more complex searches using multiple conditions, and makes the bins it creates "smart." Smart Bins will update automatically if any media tags are changed or if new media gets added that matches the search criteria.
New! Native XAVC Support
Vegas™ Pro 12 is the world's first HD, 2K and 4K XAVC™ native editor. The latest version features built-in support for XAVC files, with the same drag and drop, no transcode simplicity that Vegas Pro users have enjoyed with other popular formats. No expensive add-ons or plug-ins are required. For optimal performance with 2K and 4K XAVC content, use the new smart proxy HD workflow for full frame rate playback on a wide variety of hardware configurations, from compact laptops to advanced multi core workstations.
New! Panasonic P2 support
Ingest P2 media using Vegas Pro's Device Explorer, and edit the DVCPRO 25/50/100 and AVC-Intra 50/100 MXF files natively.
New! Project media updates
Thumbnails are now optimized for 16:9, and media that is a different aspect ratio than the project will appear letter-boxed or side-pillared. A more prominent border around the thumbnails clearly highlights selected clip(s). Right-clicking on the thumbnail and selecting Select Timeline Events locates the clip on the timeline, where you can use Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] to move between selected events.
New! HDCAM SR™ (SStP) mastering
Encode to all flavors of the HDCAM SR mastering format, including the 220 Mb/s SR Lite and the 880 Mb/s SR 444. A full range of format templates are included, and the rendered MXF files are compatible with HDCAM SR camcorders, VTRs, and SR Memory solid state recording devices.
New! Edit properties for multiple video files
Select two or more video files in the Project Media window and click the Media Properties button to edit a range of parameters across all of the clips, including field order, pixel aspect ratio, color space, stereoscopic 3D mode, and more.
New! Support for AVCHD 2.0 standard
The Sony AVC encoder and customize dialog were updated to allow users to create AVCHD 2.0 templates/streams.
New! Still image format metadata support
Photos taken with modern cameras and cell phones contain metadata that define the correct image orientation. Vegas Pro 12 now supports this metadata, so that the files are automatically opened with the proper orientation.
Use the Device Explorer to capture media from nearly any video or audio device into the Vegas Pro application. To add media to your project, simply drag media from the Device Explorer into the Media Pool, the timeline, or the Trimmer window. Improvements to the browse operation make it easy to navigate to media on AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, RED, and P2 cameras.
Capture to MXF from SD/HD-SDI devices
Legacy standard definition formats like Digital Betacam and high-definition formats including HDCAM and DVCPRO 100 video tapes can be captured and converted to MPEG-2 50 Mbps 4:2:2 files conforming to the Sony XDCAM standard. Live feeds can also be captured as XDCAM MXF files for editing in Vegas Pro 12, or archived for future use. The Sony MXF file format is roughly one-fourth the bit rate of other HD compression technologies such as Avid DNxHD or Apple ProRes, making it more efficient for hard drive storage. Despite its small file size, a MXF file can still produce a beautiful 4:2:2 image at a full 1920x1080 raster.
XDCAM and XDCAM EX workflow is extremely intuitive and efficient within the Vegas Pro application. The software provides all the necessary tools to edit proxy and full-resolution HD and SD XDCAM MXF files natively, and it supports all frame rates and aspect ratios, multichannel audio, Essence Marks, and all HD and SD XDCAM compression types. Vegas Pro 12 software can natively read all XDCAM EX frame rates and resolutions. The integrated Device Explorer enables you to preview and import only the files you need for your current project.
XDCAM Optical-specific features include:
- Support for capturing directly to XDCAM-compatible MXF files from supported SD/HD-SDI sources
- File access mode (FAM)
- Ethernet transfer
- XDCAM Explorer pane
- Essence Marks support (all types)
- Proxy editing
- Master to disc (all formats)
- Multichannel audio read (all supported channel configurations, full/proxy resolution)
- PDZ list import, with proxy/full resolution conform capabilities
- SD import (all modes supported, native .MXF editing)
- HD import (all modes supported, native .MXF editing)
- Conform proxy timeline to full resolution (with file trimming if supported by deck)
- Conform all selected proxy media in Vegas database to full resolution
- SD render (all modes supported by format)
- HD render (all modes supported by format)
- Multichannel audio write (all supported channel configurations)
XDCAM EX-specific features include:
- Native XDCAM EX file read support
- Browse XDCAM EX files directly on camera with Device Explorer
- Support for all XDCAM EX resolutions and frame rates including the new shoulder-mount EX camcorder that records in dual file mode (optical and EX)
Smart render technology
Utilize smart render technology for faster encoding of cuts-only projects, or projects with minimal changes. No generation loss occurs because video frames pass through the engine unaltered. When rendering to any of the following formats, unedited video frames are passed through without recompression (smart rendering):
- DV AVI
- DV MXF
- IMX MXF (IMX 24p MXF is not supported for smart rendering)
- HD MXF
- MPEG-2 (for files such as those from HDV and DVD camcorders)
- XDCAM EX
Support for RAW photo files
Use RAW photo files in your Vegas projects. Download the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 7 and Windows Vista to view and edit RAW photo files from more than 120 DSLR cameras natively on the Vegas Pro timeline.
Streaming support for AVC/MP4 encoder
Vegas Pro 12 can now render AVC/MP4 files with streaming support, compatible with most streaming servers.
Vegas Pro 12 system requirements
- Microsoft® Windows Vista® 64-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows® 8 64-bit, or Windows® 8.1 64-bit operating system
- 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
- 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
- OHCI-compatible IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape)
- USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders)
- 512 MB GPU memory
- Windows-compatible sound card
- DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
- Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
- Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
- Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc™ burning only)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.51 (included on application disc)
- Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files
- Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)
- GPU-accelerated video processing and rendering require an OpenCL™-supported NVIDIA®, AMD/ATI™, or Intel® GPU with 512MB memory or more. (please see the GPU acceleration page for more detailed specifications and driver requirements)
- NewBlueFX Titler Pro requires either an NVIDIA or AMD/ATI graphics card. See above for details.
You must provide your registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc., a US company, in order to activate the software.